Saturday, February 23, 2013

Missionary Arrives! Work Begins!

It has been a long time coming, but we are glad to welcome Leonardo de La Garza from Laredo, Texas to Salvador Brazil!  He arrived last Thursday morning on a flight from Miami and has been settling in - we hope to have him spend a month in a parish to immerse himself in the language.  The brothers are so grateful for all the hoops he has jumped through in order to get his visa, and the various sacrifices he has made to come here and serve.

Here are a few photos from last night's adoration in Alto:



After Adoration, we had a meeting with community leaders about starting the work on Mary Magdalene House.  We will be starting with a blessing of the house on Sunday (02/24/13), and then we will begin preparing the house for renovations on Monday (taking out trash and remnants of old furniture).  The first phase of renovations will begin in about a week - after things have been picked up and cleaned out - and will involve more technical and structural repairs.  The first phase should last about a month, and will be followed by a second phase that will include refinishing the walls, painting, and moving in furniture.  The second phase is projected to last about two months, which means we plan to be finished by the beginning of June.

We entrust this first moment of work to your prayers through the intercession of the Virgin Mary and St. Mary Magdalene!  God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. m trying to learn the language here it is very similar to Spanish so I think I will learn fast. The place is Beautiful and old. I am living in a 500 year old convent. My mission here is not very clear, but I am sure in time and with Gods grace I will be able to see it. There is another volunteer here from France her name is Marion, but she will be leaving this month. Also there are many mosquito, I have not been bitten, but Marion the French volunteer is getting eaten alive. It seems that Brazil is much like Goa, very much indeed. I visited the Basilica yesterday in Salvador, it was made by the Jesuits and is very grand and beautiful. It seems the the Jesuits like epic things. The St. John community is very new here in Brazil, so I feel very special to have the opportunity to help in creating something beautiful here. The Brothers here are very welcoming, there is a difference here. My friend Brother Francis has a lot of different projects for me to do in the convent and outside the community, so I will be busy. On Sunday they will have a ceremony here to introduce me into the community as a volunteer/missionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo is in my prayers and I look forward to hearing about all the progress in Alto.

    ReplyDelete