Friday, March 1, 2013

My First Impressions

It has been a little over a week that I have been in Salvador Brazil and it seems like my Portuguese is getting better. Living in the convent/monastery has been good to me. Its giving me a peaceful outlook on life I have a chance to place myself before God every day, three times a day. I've gotten used to waking up early.

I’m working alongside another volunteer, Marion, she’s French. It seems wherever I go there will always be at least one French. One day I’ll learn the language just not today :P

It seems there is a machismo(macho-man) factor here in Brazil. A lot of the “mans” work is left to the men. Marion even though she does not mind getting a little dirty, is not allowed to work with the heavy lifting and the very dirty stuff.

My mission here in Brazil is getting a little clearer. There is a community center in one of the Favelas, and we need clean it, fix it up, and get it ready for use. I’m thinking the favela will be a central point for the community to get together for prayer, community discussion, and stuff like that. A Place community kids can do homework peacefully, or maybe just hang out with future volunteers. Whatever it is first thing is first, it has to get done.

In closing life is good here in Brazil, there are certain street rules that you have to follow, like you do in any urban city. Don’t go into something with naivety but courage. I don’t think I will be a nurse in Brazil, but I don’t mind, I suppose God calls us for different things we just have to be able to say, “Ok God, Lead the way.” 

3 comments:

  1. Thank God for you and your new mission! I will keep you in my prayers. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for you and your new mission! I will keep you in my prayers. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i just left from this place, from all of this energie and I can say that they are doing an incredible jobs over there in the Favelas.
    I will miss you and sure I will keep you in my preayers !

    ReplyDelete