Monday, May 27, 2013

May


I’ve been gone for quite a while, and its sometimes difficult to put my experiences into writing.

This past mother’s day the drug “king pin” of the Favela gave a rose to every mother. So every mother received a rose and had it nicely placed on a vase. It was interesting to see that there was a rose on the feet the statue of our blessed mother Mary. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rose was bought by drug money. Many people in the Favela feel that the Police do more harm. Last weekend the police threw 2 gas bombs inside a futbol game in the favela, afterwards came a small firefight. I was not there at the time but this is what Fabio (my friend from the Favela) told me.
From my understanding, in the beginning of each year the police are bribed to stay out of the Favela, if the demands of the police are not met, a firefight will commence. A couple of times I have seen a police man walk into the Favela carrying a gun in his hands. What do I think of it all?  The government is corrupt, the only organization that is big enough to assemble itself properly is the Catholic church, I feel because of this the bishops have a lot of power to sway people’s hearts and minds, I can see how and why the church here can get political. Is this a bad thing? My brain says yes, my heart says no. Its very easy to be looking from a far and say that Christ is not to be used as a platform for a political agenda, but amidst the chaos of it all when so many people are crying out for help “Socorro.” When they are all waiting for the messiah, the change in their lives when they are praying to God, When we are praying to God. Is it fair that you reader live in such a nice place, while these people have to struggle? I digress.Pray for answers

 Finally we have received some volunteers from the Favela. I have hope, but it takes time to sway the hearts and minds of people. It also takes time to see how God is working in your life. I think for most people in the Favela they look at us and wonder what our angle is. I am a gringo, a white man, I don’t exactly look like a Brazilian, but slowly I am taking in their culture and language. There is a young boy on the steps of the Favela who is a look out. I see him every day and say hello to him. Eventually after I understand the language well its possible to show them scripture and the word of God.
I have a friend named Daniel who is my new guitar instructor, so I’m learning classical brazillian guitar music. Daniel also took me out to go dancing with some of his friends. We danced to Forro. Forro is pronounced like foho. Its quasi salsa, and a lot of fun. I was dancing with several people they have a lot of patience with me. I’m having a great time here in Brazil, I’d be lying to you if I was just working in the favela and praying. There is a lot of culture to take up here in Salvador. J

In Closing I leave with a poem that a french volunteer gave me inspiration to write.

We are never alone

I took this journey alone
Not knowing who or what I’d see
I took this Journey alone
To see who im supposed to be..

But then I saw you here
Where I was supposed to be
The Journey I took wasn’t alone
It was them, you, and me

You had your task
I had my mask
You had your jobs
And I had my sobs

But now you’re not here
and my path is not less clear
The envy turns to fear
And now I wish you were here

But you showed me the most important part
It was not about creating or making,
Or baking, or art.
Its about doing things with love
A smile is a start

So I take this Journey
and I place you in my heart
So I take this journey
And today is when I start…



No comments:

Post a Comment