Wednesday, June 19, 2013

It's Going to be a Good Day

This is my blog post for the month of June.

Every month something new happens, I suppose God is looking out for this community in No Alto de Esperanza, because something is happening. We are receiving more volunteers! Whether it be in church or in the Magdalene house the youth is slowly coming to help and partaking in the ownership that is the Magdalene house. A couple weeks ago we had some of the youth come and sing at church, some had tambourines others were singing with microphones, it’s always a struggle to get them in, but if God has not given up on the world why should we.
“Oi Leo!” is what some of the kids as we pass through the streets while they play futebol. “Oi Leo, vocĂȘ precisar de ajuda hoje” which means means “Hey Leo today we are going to help you.”  I can’t help but kinda cringe and say, “Sim,” “Yes.” God teaches us patience in all we do. Fabio says I need to learn patience because I’m going to have boys when I get older….. So work with about 5 young lads in the house is pretty neat. We want these kiddos to own this project, what better way than to have them work a bit. Some of them paint, some are digging, some sanding (they all hate sanding, even I do).  
Needless to say we have a lot of paint on the floor.
A few weeks ago I finally got them to sand, we were all standing on a scaffold;  Andres 10yrs, Fernando 12yr, and me. Then the kids start to sing/yell on this frame, singing and dancing on this thing, whatever work I suppose. By the end of the sanding I was singing and dancing on it. The work is longer with them, but it’s a little bit more enjoyable?? It is.  It’s beautiful to see that I, no, we as a community helping are very much accepted there, people know that the brothers and the missionaries aren’t there for anything other than helping people, and praying with people.
We had a missionary Maureen come and work with us, and many people in the community could not believe that a woman was doing man’s work, even me. She would usually come out of the Favela looking dirtier than me. (Might be because I always brought a spare shirt). While she was here it seemed like some of the community boys and girls were finally wanting to help out, Lets pray that we can keep this fire/fervor going! God is great!


As for the protests in Brazil, what can I really say? Corrupt governments ruin civilizations, they are building Futebol stadiums when schools and hospitals are falling apart. This is not my fight nor my country, but I can observe from a distance. Mom don’t worry I won’t do anything stupid……. 

No comments:

Post a Comment